Monday, July 20, 2026

It’s a hot summer

 This is the Nebraska summer heat. I remember it wasn’t here last year. 

Maybe I just blocked it out. Maybe I was out of town on the right days but this dry hair dryer heat, this relentless hot air everywhere. 

It’s not a dry desert heat. It’s not a moist heat like Louisiana it’s a suffocating boring as hell heat.


I remember having a school called off in kindergarten at first grade because this heat was so oppressive and the school didn’t have AC and it was dangerous for the kids to wait outside for the bus even in the early morning. 

I had more school called off in Nebraska in two years than I did in the first six years of snow days in Minnesota. 

It’s an exhausting heat in a different way than a wet heat or a desert heat or even I’m Minnesota heat it’s dry. 

It pulls the moisture out of you. You can’t drink enough water to save your life. 

It’s relentless.

But the relentless feeling is something I’m used to - something that I have accepted. 
Depression is relentless, depression does not give any quarter it just keeps coming and coming and coming. 

Anxiety is relentless it doesn’t care what kind of day you have, it doesn’t care if you’re doing the right thing and finally going to the doctor for the first time and more years than you should probably admit. 

So your blood pressure is through the roof so they now want you to do blood pressure tracking for the next two weeks. 

Your blood pressure is fine when you’re not at the doctor you’re not having to face the fact that you haven’t done a good job of taking care of your body when you’re not having to face the fact that they might know you’re not a good student. 

Suicidal ideation is relentless. It doesn’t stop even when you’re having a good day even when you think that you’ve managed your symptoms you’ve worked on your anxiety. 
You’ve taken steps to minimize the impact that your depression has on you. It’s always just there. 

Everybody else misses a red light and I think man that’s a bummer. For some reason. There’s a tiny little voice inside of my head. That’s says, That’s a bummer. probably should kill yourself. 

That’s not a thing that makes sense and it knows that it doesn’t make sense. 

It’s just playing the numbers game. It’s gonna pop up time and time again and just say maybe this is an option or have you tried this and it never stops cause you know eventually maybe, maybe you will maybe you’ll try - maybe you’ll give in so the heat right now is relentless heat index of 105 to 110. 

As fate would have it the AC in my truck broke last week it finally gave out has been given out for about two years, but it finally gave up the ghost cause it was working real hard and I don’t have the money to fix it. 

So I put my windows down and I live in a town where I drive stoplight to stoplight night exit the exit. 

I don’t have crosswinds every time I hit a red light. I sit there in the relentless heat made the relentless depression with anxiety relentlessly building up in that relentless voice. 

It just says here’s the exit if you want, you could do it if you want, here are five different ways you could. 

so the heat sucks and the relentlessness of it is exhausting and I am drinking more water than I ever have in my life just to stay none pruned, but the relentlessness of the heat has nothing and the battle I fight every day inside my head. 

So I’ll take heat index of 105 and 110. I’ll take drinking a half gallon of water just to be able to pee because the other relentlessness in my life - the other relentless forces - haven’t got me yet and neither will the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment